Popular Posts

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Client Assignment


Client Blog Assigment – Grace Beecham – March 27, 2012 - JA12MN INTRO
My first client experience was a great experience. I never would have gone in for a massage but I happened to get a Groupon for an Aveda salon and decided to go.  The best thing about it was the atmosphere for rest and peace that she was able to create, and how I was shepherded into total release.  Active resting was something I had just begun to cultivate in my life, so to be in a situation where I had no choice but TO rest was hugely impacting.
It was surprising, but through this experience I discovered how much I value atmosphere, both for my own use and as a tool as a therapist.  Everything from the products, to the amount she spoke and how she took charge of the situation tipped me right over the edge into complete relaxation, and because of that my whole being was affected – not just my body.  I believe that knowing this key will make me a fantastic therapist, able to get in and release people in places they never knew existed.   
One thing that really impacted me was her professionalism.  We talked a bit in the beginning over a foot scrub,  then once she got the information she needed and I was on the table she said, “Okay, it’s quiet time now”, which released me to let everything melt away.  We exchanged a few comments during the session to stay present with each other, but for the most part it was completely silent.  She moved around the table efficiently and quickly and used an array of media: hot stones, aromatherapy, a sugar scrub and massage oil.  Having grown up in the Midwest to conservative/religious family it was completely outside of my grid - and I enjoyed every minute of it! 
Through what was undoubtedly a spiritual experience, I learned the value of being a strong presence.  There are those that come in who cultivate a lifestyle of keeping things in perspective, giving themselves grace and taking time to rest.  They are in tune with their bodies and hearts and can sense when they’re getting overloaded, so they come in to reconnect with their center.  All they need is the time and a little bit of coaxing to return, and so they come to us.
 Others have never learned what to do when they are overwhelmed, or even to notice when it happens.  They have no ‘muscle memory’, as it were, for the place of peace in their hearts and have no idea when they’ve lost it. So for them, getting back to rest is a difficult and often lengthy journey.   The whole person needs persuading, someone with masterful hands and a gentle heart that will take them by the hand and lead them into rest in mind, body, and spirit.  Sometimes it’s a whole lifestyle change over a course of years, and at other times we get to come in at just the right time and give them the last little piece that makes everything click, and this is what happened for me.  I was learning to relax and simply respond on numerous levels in my life, so having a physical lesson in this drew me into a depth of peace and rest that I am still enjoying today. 
This is what I want for my clients: to be strong, to know by intuition what my client needs on their journey into peace, and trust in my own abilities so that I can partner with the whole person to take them to the next step.  Amazing how one hour and a half session could have brought me to this place!

No comments:

Post a Comment